With just one file across your multiple devices, our digital companion series offers many ways to STAY SMART!
SMARTbooks are now offered in your choice of hard copy, digital or both formats! Digital SMARTbooks are designed to be side-by-side digital companions to our hard copy editions. Access your entire SMARTbook digital library when you’re traveling, or use the hard copy edition in secure facilities (SCIF), combat or field environments.
With one file, you can read and transfer our digital SMARTbooks (eBooks) across 85+ devices and applications that support Adobe eBook DRM, including smartphones, tablets (via apps on devices like the iPad and Galaxy Tab) as well as dedicated reading devices like the Sony Reader or the Barnes & Noble nook.
Our digital SMARTbooks are authorized to a user’s Adobe ID and can be transferred to up to six devices and six computers via Adobe Digital Editions. Users can obtain a free Adobe ID from Adobe.com and learn how to transfer eBooks in the Digital Editions help center to include the following platforms and devices:
- PC/MAC: Download the free Adobe Digital Editions software Download
- iPad and iPhone: Access your digital SMARTbook using any iPad or iPhone reader that supports Adobe ID, such as the free BlueFire Reader at www.bluefirereader.com.
- Android Devices: Access your digital SMARTbook using any Android reader that supports Adobe ID, such as the free Aldiko 2.0 Reader.
- Nook (Barnes & Noble): Transfer your digital SMARTbook directly to your Barnes & Noble Nook and Nook Color using the Adobe Digital Editions software.
- Sony Reader. Transfer your digital SMARTbook directly to your Sony Reader™ using the Adobe Digital Editions software.
See the full list of 85+ devices and applications here!
* Our Adobe Digital Edition eBooks include incremental version/updates/changes (up to, but not including new editions), when available for previous editions. Digital readers can return to the “Download Management” section of our website (by logging into their user account) and click-on the original purchased SMARTbook eBook link to obtain a new, updated eBook file that incorporates the change pages (the same as downloading the SMARTupdate and inserting the change pages into the original print SMARTbook). Readers are strongly encouraged to join our SMARTnews email list to receive notification of changes, updates and revisions to their SMARTbooks!
Features of our Digital SMARTbooks
Use your digital SMARTbook across your multiple devices. With one file, you can read and transfer our digital SMARTbooks (eBooks) across 85+ devices and applications that support Adobe eBook DRM. Our digital SMARTbooks are authorized to a user’s Adobe ID and can be transferred to up to six devices and six computers via Adobe Digital Editions. (Note that Adobe limits your total number of authorizations; each time you copy/transfer your eBook to a new device – or re-authorize a deactivated device — counts as one of your authorizations.)
It is important to understand the files can only be used with Adobe Digital Editions and/or Adobe ID capable devices and reader applications. They cannot be used on generic (non-Adobe ID) eBook readers/devices — for example, Amazon Kindle, Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat are not supported. Please contact us first if you plan to make a BULK purchase of our Digital SMARTbooks (multiple copies of the same ebook require individual Adobe ID authorizations/licenses).
Mirror the Hardcopy Edition. Digital SMARTbooks are designed to be side-by-side digital companions to our hardcopy SMARTbooks. As such, they mirror our hardcopy versions as exact-replicas — page layouts, charts, page numbers and pagination all remain the same. Access your entire SMARTbook digital library when you’re traveling, or use the hardcopy edition in secret facilities (SCIF), combat or field environments.
Fully Interactive and Hyperlinked. Find your information quickly and intuitively! In addition to the Table of Contents, our A-B-C and 1-2-3 charts are fully linked and interactive, as well as page jumps (e.g., See pp. ____ for further discussion) and the index.
Search and Jump-to Page Numbers. Get to a subject or specific page number quickly by entering it in the “Search” field.
Side-by-Side (Portrait/Landscape) Views. Switch between portrait or landscape orientation (based on your device), or select the Side-by-Side view to display your digital SMARTbook as you would view your SMARTbook hardcopy edition. Using this features displays our multi-page layouts and side charts as they were intended.
Print and Copy features. At a course or on TDY and need a copy of a particular chart or diagram? Our digital SMARTbooks allow you to print and copy up to 20 pages for personal use.
Bookmarking and Reader Notes. You can add bookmarks to quickly navigate around a document, plus you can add your own reader notes.
Digital FAQs & Help Page
For a complete list of Digital FAQs, to include systems requirements and assistance with downloading and transferring our Digital SMARTbooks to Adobe ID devices and/or applications, visit our Digital FAQs & HELP Page!