SMARTbooks: Reference Essentials for the Instruments of National Power (D-I-M-E: Diplomatic, Informational, Military, Economic)! Recognized as a “whole of government” doctrinal reference standard by military, national security and government professionals around the world, SMARTbooks comprise a comprehensive professional library designed with all levels of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Civilians in mind.
SMARTbooks can be used as quick reference guides during actual operations, as study guides at education and professional development courses, and as lesson plans and checklists in support of training. Serving a generation of military and national security professionals, reference SMARTbooks have become “mission-essential” around the world.
- Step-by-step approach. Step-by-step instructions & illustrations make complex procedures as easy as 1-2-3.
- Comprehensive quick reference & documentation. Compiled from the latest official military and government publications; look up what you need and get straight to work.
- Straightforward. Thousands of pages are condensed to provide concise information in a single SMARTbook.
- Portability means accessibility. Taking the place of multiple field manuals, publications and training circulars, SMARTbooks fit easily into a leader’s bag, back of a rucksack, or the cargo pocket of a uniform.
- SMARTnews Email List. Join our SMARTnews mailing list to receive free e-mail notification of new titles, updates, revisions, doctrinal changes, and member-only discounts to our SMARTbooks. Click to join the mailing list!
Applying Informational Art
to Doctrinal Science…
The SMARTbook reference series is used by military, national security, and government professionals around the world at the organizational/institutional level; operational units and agencies across the full range of operations and activities; military/government education and professional development courses; combatant command and joint force headquarters; and allied, coalition and multinational partner support and training.
- Department of Defense, Department of State, Department of Homeland Security, United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), National Security Council (NSC), the Intelligence Community (NSA, CIA, etc), and the military Services
- Regional and Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs), Humanitarian Assistance Organizations and United Nations (& UNHCR), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Federal, State and Local Authorities (disaster relief, first responders, etc)
- Military education and professional development courses/schools: officer and noncommissioned officer basic and advanced courses, NCO and Sergeants Major Academy, West Point and ROTC, Command & General Staff College (CGSC), Joint Forces Staff College (JFSC) and the War College
- Army, Marine, Navy and Air Force active, reserve and national guard units across the full range of military operations (ROMO)
- Combatant Command (COCOM) and Joint Task Force (JTF) Headquarters around the world
- Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) regional centers: Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Africa Center for Strategic Studies, William J. Perry Center for Hemispheric Defense Studies, and the Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies
- National Training Center (NTC), Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) and Mission Command Training Program (MCTP)
- Allied, coalition and multinational partner support and training to include NATO, Iraq and the Afghanistan National Army
- Global War on Terrorism operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Asia-Pacific
All references used to compile the SMARTbooks are in the public domain and are available to the general public through official public websites and designated as approved for public release with unlimited distribution. The SMARTbooks do not contain ITAR-controlled technical data, classified, or other sensitive material restricted from public release. SMARTbooks are reference books that address general military principles, fundamentals and concepts rather than technical data or equipment operating procedures.